Want to know how much work has gone into our A2 projects? Then read this.

Friday, 3 July 2009

The Projects

We have four proposed projects:
The Notebook
The Lake House
Belles of StTrinians
Alice in Wonderland.

1. first impressions: I think all will be extremely challenging. Are there not easier projects for Unit 3? - some of the groups have just 3 persons and could "get away with" projects that last about 15 minutes, but all the above seem so heavy in their demands for plot that it seems even a 45 minute version will be severely cropped down.

2. The first two in the list are all about the story and the way it is told. I have only seen parts of The Notebook. I guessed the ending. The framing of the story as a series of narratives is in its favour. The jumps in time and location will make for interesting staging opportunities. I do not know the film well enough to know whether or not it can be relocated to the UK or if the cast can cover the age range effectively.

3. The Lake House. Interesting play about time. I do not know if it can be done as a two-hander. Possibly. Can the cast carry off the main characters? I'd feel happier if this was an adaptation of a novel, i think, because it would be easier to remain faithful to the spirit of the story and run the performance as a two hander, than try to be faithful to the film while making so many changes.


4. The second two in the list will at least be more flexible - already "St. Trinians" is being considered as a sort of genre-template which will guide costume and design ideas but will essentially become a "coming-of-age" drama. OR it could turn out to be a bunch of nonsense resembling an appalling teenage hen party on stage. *shudder*

5. Alice in W - has plenty to stir the imagination but fairly unappealing characters. I would not personally wish to play the role of a caterpillar anymore than I would want to play a drippy Alice. Not unless the pay was right. I'm not sure how much I'd get out of it as an actor.